| Certified Executive Coach
Nicola is a people-focused learner of life who’s values are authenticity, connection, growth and results. She believes that great leadership starts within. Leading your own life with clarity, authenticity and a genuine interest in personal growth for outstanding results will open the door for the transformation in business.
Nicola has 25 years human relations experience focused on working with mid-level leaders.
Nicola is Highly Skilled in These Areas:
Coaching Leaders to Use Their Strengths and Natural Talents to Achieve Results
Coaching Emerging Leaders Up to the Next Level
Coaching for effective communication
Coaching To Develop Strong Working Relationships
Nicola Johnson is an Executive Coach for business leaders. In her past roles in Organisational and Leadership Development she has been responsible for the identification, assessment, and development of high potential employees.
As a Certified Executive Coach and Leadership Specialist Nicola’s strengths are in assisting people to recognize their strengths, and shift their behaviour to achieve better results in business and in life. She is a certified practitioner with Herrmann International in the administration of the Herrmann Brain Dominance Instrument, and is skilled at applying brain-based theory for the purpose of developing others. Nicola has a Masters Certificate in Executive Coaching from Royal Roads University, is certified with PDI Ninth House as a 360 degree feedback facilitator and with Development Dimensions International as a Targeted Selection Interviewer.
As your coach, Nicola will partner with you to help you discover your natural talents and strengths so you can actively address your present circumstances and achieve a higher level of leadership.
Nicola’s passion is people. She enjoys spending time with high achievers who have a genuine interest in living life fully, openly and on purpose. Nicola loves to be with her three children and support them in their activities. To stay healthy and adventurous Nicola enjoys training and competing as an ironman triathlete, mountain biking, skiing and yoga.
- Create a safe environment in which a person being coached can see his or herself more clearly.
- Coaches listen, ask focused questions, reflect back, challenge, an acknowledge the client.
- Assist the person being coached in understanding how to grow and thrive, by championing, advocating, and standing for that person’s best self.
- Guide the person being coached in setting an agenda so that he or she can grow naturally and comfortable.
- Encourage intentional thought, action, and behaviour changes when the person being coaches is reluctant to do so.
- Inject enough dynamic tension into the coaching process to compel the person being coached to take action and effective positive change.
- Identify gaps between where the person being coached is and where that person needs or wants to be.
- Help the person being coached develop a strong personal action plan to close those gaps and hold the individual rigorously accountable tot that plan.
- Understand and anticipate obstacles that will slow the progress of the person being coached (including personal limitations) and strategize with the person to overcome them.
- Institute the structure necessary to ensure a sustained commitment for both parties.
- Maintain the client’s focus and vision, to help him or her remember what has been defined as most important.
Coaches do not:
- Consult: A consultant is a person with specific expertise hired to share that expertise with individuals or organizations. Coaching, in contrast, is focused on drawing the expertise and answers from the client
- Counsel: Coaching effects achievement; counseling effects healing. Coaching effects action; counseling affects understanding. Coaching promotes creativity; counseling seeks to resolve. Coaching is about the future; counseling is about the past and how it impacts the present.
Turn better thinking into better results.
Leadership Development Coaching
Identified Successors and High Potential Leadership program participants require the opportunity to increase their leadership effectiveness and receive accelerated development to provide extraordinary results to the business. This accelerates development of future leaders.
Coaching encourages high-functioning individuals to bridge the gap to their next level of success. Coaching gives the opportunity to strengthen specific interpersonal, communication, leadership and managerial skills.
Focus area’s for Leadership Development Coaching include but are not exclusive to character and integrity, assumptions, blind spots and strengthening leadership capacity through self awareness to know their strengths as well as their weaknesses. They also need to fully comprehend the organization’s leadership competencies and align with them.
A coach partners with clients in a though-provoking and creative process that inspires them to maximize their personal and professional potential.
Coaching provides accelerated development through:
- Identifying gaps between where the person being coached is and where that person needs or wants to be
- Creating a safe environment in which a person being coached can see his or herself more clearly
- Assisting the person being coached in understanding how to grow and thrive, by championing, advocating, and standing for that person’s best self
- Guiding the person being coached in setting an agenda so that he or she can grow naturally and comfortably
- Encouraging intentional thought, action , and behavior changes when the person being coached is reluctant to do so
- Injecting enough dynamic tension into the coaching process to compel the person being coached to take action and effective positive change.
Critical Success Factors:
For coaching to be successful there must be a fit between the coach and the timing has to be right, and the coach has to be open to the process of coaching.
The individual has to coachable by:
- Having a goal or challenge to work on
- Being open to recognizing there is a gap between where he/she is and wants to be
- Being open to trying on new approaches to things
- Having an interest in growing as a leader
- Being willing to make changes in the way they work
- Being excited about the idea of working with a coach
Coaching is a deliberate process using focused conversations to create an environment for individual growth, purposeful action, and sustained improvement.
Coaching is a one-on-one process based on a relationship between an individual and a coach, who formulate specific objectives and goals that are focused on developing potential, improving professional relationships, and enhancing performance. Coaching uses a formalized yet personalized approach that integrates proven techniques for change with behavioral knowledge and practical experience. Coaching breaks down barriers to help achieve greater levels of accomplishment It is a process of self-leadership that enables people to gain clarity about who they are, what they are doing, and why they are doing it.
The one-on-one coaching relationship is used to:
- Unlock an individual’s potential and maximize his or her performance
- Challenge and aid individuals in taking effective action
- Lead individuals to an understanding of the essence of themselves (their character) to achieve personal and professional satisfaction.
Hermann Brain Dominance Instrument (HBDI) Assessment
Whole Brain® Thinking allows you to harness your teams’ thinking diversity for better results. It is the foundation for the highly validated Herrmann Brain Dominance Instrument® (HBDI®), which measures thinking preferences of individuals, teams, and organizations.
Some of the many benefits include:
- Improved communication, problem-solving, and decision-making.
- Elevated performance and employee engagement.
- Increased thinking agility and diversity within your organization.
360 Degree Feedback
The LEA 360 ™ is a very high quality, online 360-degree leadership assessment tool, with norms that can be drawn from a range of industries and geographies. It has a unique construction, which brings together both ipsative and normative measurement scales making it the market leader for data that is valid, reliable and robust. The LEA 360 ™ is backed up by a vast database encompassing the Americas, Europe and now increasingly Asia. Its research facilities ensure that the LEA and other MRG products reflect leading edge theory, research and practice. They also provide clients with the potential for organization specific research (‘best leadership practices’) as well as international industry comparisons and interest area research (e.g. gender, age, cultural differences in leadership style).
I really would like to sincerely thank you for the time you’ve spent “prodding” me in the right direction. The value of the coaching you’ve provided through our discussions are immeasurable. Who knows where I’ll end up, but I can honestly say that any future success I achieve will certainly have been influenced by your great support (and patience)
I met Nicola Johnson about 4 years ago. At that time, my life was in transition both personally and professionally. In both cases, circumstances forced me to rethink my goals, my methods and my vision of the future. With the help of Nicola and her coaching abilities, I have made a huge transition. I am now self-employed and happier than I have been in years. As a coach, Nicola cannot tell me what to do, but using her skills, she is able to help me find my way. I feel that I own my future regardless of any future circumstance change. I highly recommend Nicola.
I am very appreciative of the opportunity I was afforded and the effort you put into those meetings. Your ability to drill down into an issue, your perceptiveness, and thoughtful advice made the sessions both enjoyable and meaningful.
In 2011 while working as a Vice President with a large global financial institution I was presented with a few different career opportunities at an executive level. Given the impact and variables involved in this type of decision having Nicola guide me throughout this process was invaluable to making an informed choice that was right for me. Nicola provided invaluable career coaching and guidance while considering this career change and provided the insight and steering I needed to make a decision that best suited my short and long term objectives. I attribute the success I have had this far in my current role as a Chief Operating Officer of a national organization to work and discussions with Nicola as my career coach.